Pumpkin & crunchy sprouts risotto
It’s crunch time, people! Sprouts have a unique and satisfying crunchy texture and are also tiny little nutritional giants that are rich in iron, vitamin C, vitamin K and folate. Sprouts are also made more digestible by the sprouting process, which means your body absorbs more of the nutrients they contain. Even better? At around $2.20 a punnet, they’re also among the most affordable superfoods you’ll find anywhere.
Want to get some of this sprouting good stuff into your day? While sprouts are certainly awesome in salads, they’re actually way more versatile than that. You can use them in muffins, stir-fries, pasta, sandwiches, Buddha bowls, omelettes… even on a burger. Or try this risotto recipe using Aussie Sprouts Crunchy Combo, which contains all the benefits of sprouted mung beans, sprouted lentils and sprouted chickpeas. Not only does this crunch-a-licious combination contain a lot of micronutrients and protein; it’s also a good healthy carb and a handy alternative to seeds and nuts for those with allergies.
Pumpkin & Crunchy Combo risotto
Prep time 10 minutes
Cooking time 30 minutes
500g pumpkin, skin and seeds removed and cut into 2cm chunks
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 cups salt-reduced chicken stock
1 onion, finely diced
1 cup arborio rice
¾ cup Aussie Sprouts Crunchy Combo
½ cup grated parmesan cheese
¾ cup baby spinach, roughly chopped
80g goat’s cheese (optional)
¼ cup Aussie Sprouts Crunchy Combo, extra, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Spray a large oven tray with oil and scatter over pumpkin cubes.
2. Bake for 25 minutes or until soft and golden.
3. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes until onion is soft.
4. Add rice and cook, stirring, for a further minute.
5. Add Crunchy Combo.
6. Mix stock and water together and add ½ cup of the liquid, stirring gently until liquid is absorbed. Continue adding ½ cup at a time until liquid is absorbed and rice is cooked but still has a slight bite.
7. Stir through parmesan cheese and baby spinach.
8. Gently fold through roasted pumpkin and goat’s cheese, if using.
9. Garnish with extra Crunchy Combo and serve.
Aussie Sprouts are sold at Coles and Woolworths. Due to the short shelf life of the product, Aussie Sprouts supply only the east coast and South Australia.