Ham & cheese bread & butter pudding
Bread and butter pudding is usually a sweet dish, served at the end of the meal. We’re bringing it front and centre, making it a savoury main event. Tasty ham off the bone and extra tasty cheese make this moreish recipe a real comfort food treat, and one that’s perfect for dinner now that the nights are getting colder. You can also feature it as a side dish if you’re entertaining. Plus, it’s a breeze to make – only 20 minutes prep time followed by 35-40 minutes in the oven. Make sure you save us a slice!
100g garlic butter*, softened
1 loaf (800g) sourdough bread, sliced
300ml pure cream
½ cup milk
1¼ cups grated extra tasty cheese
250g thinly sliced Australian leg ham off-the-bone
200g cherry tomatoes, halved
Leafy green salad, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease a 10-cup capacity (about 6cm deep) oval baking dish.
2. Spread butter on one side of bread slices; place slices standing up in the prepared dish.
3. Combine eggs, cream and milk in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Add 1 cup cheese and stir until combined. Pour mixture over bread slices.
4. Tear ham into large pieces and place in between bread slices. Place tomatoes between slices of bread.
5. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup cheese. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden and egg mixture is set. Serve immediately with a leafy green salad.
* Garlic butter is sold by the block and is available in the butter section in supermarkets.
Recipe courtesy of Australian Pork.