Hummus hacks for summer entertaining
Hummus is an entertaining staple, but most of us would only think to use it as a dip for carrot and celery sticks or corn chips. But this affordable and super nutritious food – which is packed with plant-based protein, fibre and heart-healthy fats – can be used in any number of dishes. To give you a little inspiration, Sydney-based SSS Foods asked three food bloggers to create unique recipes using hummus as a star ingredient. Try all of them this holiday season, and you’ll never look at hummus as just a boring old picnic dip again.
Japanese-inspired onigirazu (sushi sandwich)
Recipe by @crushinglimits
SSS Foods natural hummus
1. Make sushi rice according to the packet instructions and keep warm.
2. Cut two portions of the nori sheet and lay them on a piece of cling film, parallel, with some space between them (you should be able to put a hand in between). Pro tip: you can do it on top of a sushi roller mat so it’s easier to put everything together.
3. Wet your hands and grab a handful of rice, placing it on top of both nori. Using your hands, make it even and as flat as possible.
4. In one nori with rice, place hommus – as much as you want!
5. Incorporate whatever other ingredients you want on top on that, just don’t overload
6. Bring the other nori with rice on top, with the help of the cling film and/or sushi roll mat, as if you were closing a side of a book. Top with more hummus
Chicken and pumpkin fritters with hummus
Recipe by @clean_treats
2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
3 cups pumpkin, grated
2 sprigs spring onion, diced
1 cup self-raising flour
¾ cup almond milk + 1 tsp lemon juice (or use buttermilk)
1 cup fresh mint, finely chopped
1 tbsp sumac
Salt and pepper
Green salad & SSS Foods coriander, cumin & chilli hummus to serve
1. Combine the prepared chicken, pumpkin, spring onion, eggs, flour, almond milk, mint, seasoning and spices together in a bowl.
2. Heat a non-stick frypan. Add mixture to pan and cook fritters until golden on both sides (use 1-2 tbsp of batter for each).
3. Serve with salad and generous dollops of coriander, cumin & chilli hummus.
Mediterranean baked pumpkin
Recipe by @scoopitup_
½ pumpkin, sliced
1 tub SSS Foods coriander, cumin & chilli hummus
Handful roasted slivered almonds
Handful craisins (dried cranberries)
Spices to roast: cumin, chilli, smoked paprika, coriander, salt, pepper
1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Coat pumpkin with all spices and olive oil, generously sprinkle each one with more spice and add a drizzle of honey to each. Bake for 30 minutes.
2. Roast almonds lightly in pan for 1-2 minutes.
3. Spread coriander, cumin & chilli hummus on a plate.
4. Place down pumpkin and top with chilli, craisins, almonds and coriander.
SSS Foods range of hummus is available in Woolworths stores nationwide. To find out more about SSS Foods or to discover more recipes, head to sssfoods.com.au