Meatball subs & Philly cheesesteak
Throughout January, we were good little plant-based peeps and stuck to our month-long Veganuary pledge. To help inspire others who were doing the same, our weekly recipe features were also vegan eats, from French toast and falafel burgers to sprout ratatouille and peanut butter choc tops. But now that the month has passed, we feel the need to indulge in a little good old-fashioned comfort food featuring some quality Aussie beef and bucketloads of cheeeeeese. Like these recipes for meatball subs and Philly cheesesteak.
No matter whether you choose to eat meat or not, where you source your food from always matters, which is why these recipes use certified organic beef from Cleaver’s Organic. Cleaver’s only sources beef from animals raised in humane, free-range environments on family-owned and operated farms. The brand offers an array of popular meat cuts, including mince, steaks, sausages, hot dogs and lasagne – all of which are guaranteed to be free of preservatives, antibiotics and added hormones. As well as being certified organic, Cleaver’s is now also 100 percent carbon neutral, which means you can worry a little less about your carbon footprint and enjoy these quick, easy and cheesy meals even more.
Cleaver’s Organic is stocked at Coles and Woolworths and some independent grocers. To find a local Cleaver’s stockist, head to cleaversorganic.com.au
Classic meatball subs
Prep time 10 minutes
Cook time 30 minutes
1 pack Cleavers Organic beef meatballs
6 long white rolls
1½ cups good quality passata
2 cloves crushed garlic
A pinch of dried chilli (optional)
A handful of fresh basil
½ cup grated provolone or mozzarella
1. Heat oil in a large fry pan. Brown the meatballs in batches, setting aside when done.
2. Reduce heat to low. Add the passata and crushed garlic and season with salt and pepper. Simmer gently for 5 minutes before returning the meatballs to the sauce. Continue cooking on a low to medium heat until meatballs are cooked through. Remove from heat.
3. Cut rolls longways and place open-faced on a baking tray. Lightly toast rolls under the grill. Remove rolls and fill with 3-4 meatballs and sauce. Top with cheese and return to the grill until cheese is melted. Scatter with torn basil before serving.
Philly cheesesteak rolls
Prep time 10 minutes
Cook time 7 minutes
350g Cleaver’s grass-fed beef steaks, cut into strips
2 tbsp olive oil
¼ red capsicum, sliced
¼ yellow capsicum, sliced
½ brown onion, sliced
Small bunch flat-leaf parsley
150g provolone cheese
4 x torpedo-style bread rolls
Additional sauces and mustards to serve
1. Crisp up bread rolls in a 180°C oven for a few minutes then slice sides with a bread knife.
2. Preheat a large frying pan over a high heat. Start with a good glug of olive oil into pan, add in steak strips and season with salt.
3. After 2 minutes, add the capsicums and onion and cook for a further 5 minutes, adding the cheese and the parsley at the very end. Season well with salt and pepper.
4. Fill crisp rolls with the steak filling and serve with your choice of sauces and mustard.