Mega mushroom grazing board
Anyone can bung some cheese on a grazing board and lay it out for guests to nosh on. But you’re an Eativity reader, which means you love to look at food in innovative and original ways. And when it comes to deciding what to serve when you’re entertaining, there’s nothing better than choosing dishes that hero quality Aussie produce. So if you want something a little different to dish up to your guests when you next entertain, try this ultimate mushroom grazing board. It features tasty and nutritious Australian mushrooms three ways. People will marvel at your ingenuity, and then rave about the delicious umami flavours that go so well with a good glass of Sauv Blanc… or three.
The recipes that feature on the grazing board use white button and Swiss brown mushrooms. But if you’d like to try something a little more adventurous, go for it! Gourmet mushroom producers are popping up everywhere. Victoria’s Unearthed Co. has a fascinating range of mushies, including native Australian varieties. The Mushroom Guys in Perth offers everything from oyster and shiitake mushrooms to scaly flame cap and lion’s mane. Barossa Gourmet Mushrooms sells its gourmet mushies at South Australia’s Mt Pleasant farmers’ market; and you can find NSW’s Wollumbin Gourmet Mushrooms, which are grown in their natural environment, at New Brighton and Murwillumbah farmers’ markets. Or if you want to try growing your own, you can get grow kits from Unearthed Co. and The Mushroom Guys. You’ll also find them through Brisbane’s Little Acre, southeast Queensland’s Urban Spore or Life Cykel in NSW’s Byron Bay. Try it, it’s fun(gi).
Mushroom grazing board
Recipe courtesy of Australian Mushrooms
Prep time 30 minutes
Cooking time 1 hour
For the mushroom & lentil rolls:
3 sheets puff pastry
3 cups finely sliced mushrooms (this recipe uses white button and Swiss brown)
2 stalks celery, finely sliced
1 brown onion, finely sliced
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsp olive oil
2 eggs (one for the mixture, one to bind and coat)
2 cups baby spinach, chopped
1 tbsp fennel seeds
3 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
1 grated green apple
400g can lentils, drained
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese or ½ cup of tasty cheese
¼ cup white sesame seeds
Your favourite tomato chutney to serve
For the mini roasted mushrooms:
20 mini white button mushrooms
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tbsp oregano
1 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
Grated parmesan cheese, to go on top
For the sautéed mushrooms:
1 cup sliced mushrooms (this recipe uses white button and Swiss brown)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. For rolls, line two large baking trays with baking paper.
2. In a medium-sized saucepan, preheat olive oil. Sauté garlic and onion for 2-3 minutes. Add diced mushroom,s sauté for an additional 3 minutes or until soft.
3. Add mushroom mix to a large bowl. Combine with remaining ingredients (excluding pastry, one egg, sesame seeds and chutney).
4. Cut each pastry down the centre. Fill middle of pastry with mushroom mix. Coat one side (lengthways) of pastry with egg.
5. Fold pastry so two sides join, press firmly. Coat with additional egg, sprinkle with sesame seeds. Cut pastry into 4-5 mini rolls.
6. Repeat this process until the mushroom mix has been used up.
7. Place rolls into the oven for around 30 minutes or until golden.
8. When rolls have 20 minutes left, line a small baking tray with baking paper and add button mushrooms to tray and drizzle over the olive oil.
9. Top each button mushroom with some garlic and a sprinkle of oregano and chilli. Grate parmesan cheese over the mushrooms and place into the oven for 15 minutes.
10. Prepare additional sautéed mushrooms by heating 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large frypan, minced garlic and 1 cup of your favourite mushrooms. Cook until golden and set aside.
11. Arrange rolls and mushrooms on a long grazing board and serve with crackers (try this recipe if you’d like to make your own), olives, nuts and cheese. Oh, and wine, of course.
For more mushroom recipes, check out this creamy chicken and mushroom pie, this mushroom, sage and ricotta crispy filo tart or these spicy fried ’shroom burgers. We’ve also got some mushroom recipes that’ll make your day. Or go to australianmushrooms.com.au