Mother’s Day recipes for kids (& dads)
This Mother’s Day, we want the mums of Australia to enjoy something a little more inspiring for breakfast in bed than burnt toast or pancakes that left more batter on the kitchen counter than in the pan. So we’ve dished up a couple of super-quick and super-easy Mother’s Day breakfast ideas that kids and culinarily-challenged dads can whip up without fear of failure. Just remember to wash up afterwards, okay?
If Mum likes her breakfast savoury, this simple bacon and egg cup recipe will make her very happy – especially since it’s made with Borrowdale bacon. Borrowdale’s selection of free-range pork products are ethical, organic and carbon neutral, so when you present her with these little lovelies, your mum can feel spoilt and guilt-free at the same time.
For mums with a sweet tooth, you can combine chocolate cake and her morning coffee in one with this super-easy espresso mug cake. As a bonus, it’s vegan and low-carb, and as even more of a bonus, it only takes 60 seconds to cook. So even if you do manage to make a mistake, you’ll still have plenty of time to try again before you’re due to go thundering into Mum’s bedroom and jump up and down on the bed to wake her up. Happy Mother’s Day!
Borrowdale bacon and egg cups
12 rashers of Borrowdale Artisan Maple Streaky Bacon
1 cup shredded cheese
Salt and pepper, to taste
Paprika, to taste
Chives, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
2. Place the slices of bacon in a non-stick muffin tin, wrapping them in a circle.
3. Oven-bake the bacon for 10 minutes.
4. Remove the bacon from the oven and pour out any excess grease, if desired. Crack 1 egg into each of the cups, then sprinkle with salt, pepper and cheese.
5. Bake for another 10 minutes, or until the egg yolks reach your desired consistency.
6. Run a blunt knife around the edge of each cup to loosen and remove.
7. Finish off with a dusting of paprika and a sprinkle of chives.
XX espresso mug cake
A recipe from The Nourished Chef
½ cup almond meal
4 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp ground golden flaxseed meal
½ cup Califia Farms XX Espresso Cold Brew Coffee with Almond Milk
4 tbsp smooth peanut butter
8 tsp golden monkfruit sweetener or coconut sugar
4 tbsp vegan dark choc chips
1. In a medium-sized bowl, add your dry ingredients. Stir to combine.
2. In a small microwaveable bowl, pour in your XX Espresso. Microwave for 30 seconds.
3. Carefully remove from microwave. Stir in your sweetener of choice and peanut butter.
4. Pour wet mixture over dry ingredients. Stir in choc chips until well combined. Divide mixture between two microwaveable mugs. Top with extra choc chips (try not to eat them).
5. Microwave for 60 seconds. Best enjoyed warm and gooey out of the microwave.