Boredom-busters for school holidays
Kids climbing the walls? Parents hiding in the laundry, drinking gin and weeping quietly? Ah, it’s school holidays in the age of COVID. We know it can be hard to find ways to break the monotony – for the kids and for you – when holiday plans have been scuppered and many of us are stuck at home, but there is an activity that can keep everyone entertained that also offers a tasty reward at the end: cooking up a kid-friendly feast!
Cleaver’s Organic has come to the rescue of frustrated house-bound parents everywhere, releasing a new range of products and recipes that the whole family can make together during the school holidays and then enjoy at lunch or dinner. The new products include beef sliders, lamb souvlaki strips, chicken chipolatas and lamb meatballs. They’re all made using 100 percent Australian certified organic produce. They’re also preservative-free, have no added hormones or antibiotics and are allergen-free and gluten-free.
Cleaver’s Organic Head Chef Ryan McBurney has pulled together the below recipes that the kids can help you to whip up, which should stop them from moaning “I’m boooooored” for at least 10 minutes. Totally worth the washing up afterwards.
The new Cleaver’s Organic product range can be found in Coles and Harris Farm. Head to cleaversorganic.com.au to find out more about the new range and to find a local stockist.
Tasty beef sliders
1 pack Cleaver’s Organic Beef Sliders
6 slider-size burger buns
120g cheese slices
1 large brown onion, peeled and thinly sliced
Mesclun lettuce mix
Thinly sliced tomatoes
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C (140° fan-forced) and frying pan on low-medium heat. Add oil to the pan and sauté onion until caramelised and cooked. Reserve for constructing sliders.
2. Using the same pan, start cooking beef patties as per cooking instructions on the pack.
3. Slice slider buns with a bread knife, spread relish onto each bun and close. Place buns in a warm oven on the bottom shelf for approximately 5 minutes.
4. Once patties are flipped, place equal quantities of sautéed onions on top of cooked sides and cover with cheese slices. Patties can be placed in the oven to melt cheese.
5. To assemble sliders, remove buns from oven, add tomato and mustard sauce on bottom half. Add lettuce and tomatoes, top with beef patties and place bun lids on top.
Lamb souvlaki pita pockets
500g Cleaver’s Organic Lamb Souvlaki Strips
1 lemon, rind finely grated
60g feta, crumbled
½ small red onion, thinly sliced
140g tub tzatziki
1 tbsp chopped fresh dill
4 wholemeal pita pockets
30g baby spinach
Mesclun lettuce mix
1. Preheat a chargrill pan or barbecue grill on medium high. Sprinkle the lemon rind over both sides of the lamb. Season well with pepper. Lightly spray the lamb with oil. Cook the lamb strips for 3-4 minutes each side for medium or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a tray and squeeze over some lemon juice. Cover with foil and set aside to rest.
2. Prepare the feta and onion, place together in the bowl, then toss gently to combine. Combine tzatziki and dill in a separate bowl.
3. Prepare the pita pockets to your liking (fresh or heated), then build the pitas with all previously prepared ingredients.
Chicken chipolatas with honey mustard dipping sauce
1 pack of Cleaver’s Organic Chicken Chipolatas
½ cup mayonnaise
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp yellow mustard
3 tbsp honey
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
⅛ tsp garlic powder
⅛ tsp paprika
Salt and freshly cracked pepper
1. To prepare the honey mustard sauce, combine all the ingredients (except the chipolatas) in a bowl and stir until smooth. Use immediately or refrigerate until ready to use.
2. Preheat oil in a pan and sear the chipolatas on medium to high heat until evenly brown. Turn down the heat and continue cooking on low until fully cooked through.
3. Serve the chipolatas hot alongside the honey mustard sauce.