Vegan Vegemite brownies: seriously
Here’s a treat with a difference. This World Vegan Month, sports nutrition brand Myprotein has created the ultimate vegan brownie using the iconic Australian ingredient, Vegemite. Stay with us on this one. Did you know this beloved Australian spread is officially certified vegan? To celebrate this, and the many Aussies now choosing a plant-based lifestyle, Myprotein has teamed up with blogger and macro-friendly recipe creator Zac Kerr to create vegan Vegemite brownies. And it’s not as weird as you’re probably thinking.
Sure, President Obama might have described Vegemite as “horrible” and pop star Selena Gomez even spat it out after trying it, but we Aussies understand that Vegemite can be, well, an acquired taste. As you’ll see in this rather satisfying video.
But back to our regular programming. This vegan Vegemite brownie recipe not only tastes a lot more delicious than it might initially sound, it also includes Myvegan Chocolate Vegan Protein Blend for an extra protein hit. Add some oat flour for fibre and beta glucan, banana for B vitamins and potassium and almond milk for vitamin E, and you’ve got a pretty darn healthy treat on your hands. So give it a try. Go on, we dare you.
Vegan Vegemite brownies
Recipe by Zac Kerr
50g oat flour
30g Myprotein Chocolate Vegan Protein Blend
40g cocoa powder
90g stevia (or ½ cup sweetener of choice)
3g baking soda
100g coconut yoghurt
100g mashed banana
140ml unsweetened almond milk
40g vegan choc hazelnut spread (or nut butter of choice)
30g chopped vegan chocolate/vegan choc chips
1. Preheat your oven to 180C and grease and line a 20 x 20cm brownie tray.
2. Sift flour, protein, cocoa, stevia and baking soda into a bowl. Whisk to combine.
3. Add yoghurt, banana, almond milk, Vegemite and nut butter. Stir to create a batter.
4. Pour your batter into your prepared brownie tray and top with vegan chocolate or choc chips, then place in oven for 35-40 minutes on 180°C.
5. Remove from over and allow to cool completely before slicing into 12 brownies and inhaling each and every last one, even though you were slightly sceptical about the whole Vegemite thing but after taking one bite you realised they’re basically just dark chocolate and sea salt vegan brownies and they are delightful.
From top-selling vegan-friendly protein blends to vegan pre-workouts, BCAA and tasty plant-based snacks, Myprotein’s dedicated range, Myvegan, offers all the goods to suit all plant-based diets. You can check out the full vegan range here.